Re: [VACList] Safety Hoops / Axle bumpers

Hey Amanda:

I was reading your message when I thought of something disturbing about
these things.

It seems to me that if you have to make sure that no one ever raises the
trailer by placing a jack under the axle tube itself (rather, using the
trailer frame), that it would not be a good idea to require the axle tube to
support a big load after a blowout either.  Take another look at Jim's
picture and imagine the forces imposed on the axle if the loop suddenly was
supporting the dropped load of the trailer while going down the road at 55
mph.  I think I'd rather wipe out the rim than chance buying another axle.
Don't look good to me.  Maybe that's why these things were not standard
equipment.

Are your "S" shaped doodads connected to the axle or the frame?

GQ '67 Safari