Re: [VACList] Safety Hoops / Axle bumpers

My single axle 26 footer does not have them. I have towed it for over 20
years without a blowout. I have spoken with other drivers of single axle
Airstreams without the skids who HAVE experienced a blow out at highway
speeds. They have all said the same thing. The skids are not necessary. Some
people on the list seem to be glad that they have them. I'm OK with not
having them as are others.

Since your trailer is a dual axle there is no reason to consider installing
them on your trailer as the second tire will support the weight in a pinch.
However you need to pay attention to the tires on a dual axle trailer since
a blowout is not as noticeable as on a single axle. Driving with a blown out
tire hitting the wheelwell will damage the trailer.

Scott