RE: [VACList] Where to buy Hehr operators in or around Chicago?

Greetings Peter and Michaja!

If you are looking for  the Hehr vent operators, only reproductions are
currently available and they are not exact (functionally they work but
the aesthetic appearance is quite different from the originals).  The
only place where they are available (to my knowledge) is from InlandRV
at:

http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/

If the operators that you want are the crank mechanisms for the windows,
these are still available from a number of sources.  The Airstream
dealer in Illinois has only been in business for a very short time (as
has the dealer in Madison, WI) so may not be the best source for Vintage
parts, and the Illinois dealer is located about 100 miles South of
Chicago.  Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa installed all new
operators for the windows on my '64 Overlander less than two years ago,
and I saw the operators in their parts and accessories department on my
last trip (about one month ago) - -  they are more than three hours from
Chicago.  You might try contacting them via their website (they might be
able to ship what you need to you care of the hotel where you will be
staying in Chicago (they are generally very accommodating when it comes
to such orders - - pre-payment <usually via credit card if time is of
the essence> is required on such orders.  You can find Ace Fogdall's
site at:

http://www.acefogdallrv.com

Good luck with your project!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359