[VACList] How to remove old WBCCI numbers?

Hi Airstream owners,
We are in the process of restoring our 1964 Bambi II. I have the
following question at the moment:
The red WBCCI numbers on the front and the back of the trailer have
partially been removed by the previous owner. However some sort of
gummy material still remains. I think it is the old glue. It does not
get off with the polish I am using for the aluminium. Should I use some
sort of dissolvent to get rid of it. I do not want to damage the
aluminium. Any suggestions are welcome.
Peter and Michaja Wever
Amsterdam, Holland
1964 Bambi II