[VACList] electric brakes

While I have had a trailer before I bought my 65
Overlander, I have not had experience with electric
brakes. Can anyone tell me how to check the brakes and
see if they are working, electrically speaking. I
understand the mechanics of hydraulic brakes, but have
no idea how to see if these are any good or will work.
I have not yet pulled the wheels off, but plan to this
week to check and pack the wheel bearings. I want to
get it road worthy by the 4th of July for a short (40
mile) pull up to the river for a few days. Hopefully
by the end of this summer I will have all repairs
completed. Thanks in advance

=====
Mark, Pennie and Rachel
'65 Overlander Land Yacht