Re: [VACList] Towing?

Dave,
 As others have pointed out, that "tow rating" is stamped on the BUMPER and
has little to do with the F-250's towing capacity. A Class 4 hitch is rated
at at least 1000# tongue weight and probably 10,000# towing capacity; the
truck can handle that much load and then some.

You will find that going to the larger truck is a Good Thing, in spite of
the fact that your present F-150 might do the job. The 3/4-ton truck is much
heavier where it counts: frame, brakes, transmission, tires, and other
components. Yeah, you can beef up the F-150 in some of those areas, but it's
still a half-ton truck.

My Dodge Ram 1500 did a great job with our 4000# A/S, but it felt a bit
light when we moved up to an outfit that weighed 6000#. Trading the 1500 for
a Ram 2500/CTD was a very wise move, IMO. A friend used to use a beefed up
Suburban 1/2-ton tow vehicle in front of a 31' A/S and it did a good job,
using a Pull-Rite hitch. He's changed to a Ram 2500/5.9 V8 and is very happy
with the job it does. It just plain feels better, so he says.

                                                             <<Jim>>