Re: [VACList] new (to me) caulking method

Jon
Good idea. The method you describe is how we seal seams on aircraft to get a
nice clean look to the sealant. Although we use a pneumatic sealant gun to
cover long seams, we also use 2 ounce syringes with a 14 gauge needle to
inject in small gaps.
When sealing areas on my trailer the 14 gauge needle worked very well with
the Vulcum and since the skin is overlapped instead of being flush the
raised skin panel (top) provided a nice guide line to run the needle edge on
allowing for a very small seal seam.
As for removal of sealant we prefer 3M rubber bristle disk instead of brass
or stainless steel to prevent dissimilar metal becoming imbedded in the
aluminum which may later lead to corrosion. The rubber bristle disk are
available in 1,2, and 3 inch round or in various flapper style widths
similar to the wire wheel brushes. They are not cheap and heavy pressure
will eat them up quick. If your careful and let the tool do the work instead
of applying massive or excessive pressure they work very well.
Just in case you wanted to know, or learn a new trick.
Bobby