[VACList] new (to me) caulking method

All of you long-suffering leak hunters are going to
LOVE this--my new, improved method for sealing sheet
metal joints.  It saved me a lot of time.  No more
painstaking "adjustments" to the caulking seam with
piles of paper towels soaked in mineral spirits.

Go to the hardware store.  Get a brass bristle rotary
brush for a Dremel tool.  This is the really small
one, no more than 1/8" wide and about 3/4" in
diameter.  While you're there, get some heavy masking
tape.

Put the brush in your drill.  Clean all the dried gunk
out of your seams.  BE CAREFUL.  The brush will
definitely scratch aluminum.  But, if you can confine
it to the area that will be covered by caulk, who
cares?  The caulk will stick better.  But, this is not
for the faint of heart or those with shaky hands.  If
you are unsure, don't do it!  I am not responsible if
you lose control of the drill and put big wavy marks
all over your lovely camper.

You may want to put the tape on before this step. Test
the tape on something else to be sure it is up to the
job of resisting the brush.

The tape should come right to the edge of the top
piece of metal.  The second piece of tape should be
offset from the seam to suit your taste.  I go a
little wider because I want a longer-lasting seal.
Purists may favor narrower joints.

After wire-brushing, brush the seams off to clear
heavy dust.  Wipe the seams down with mineral spirits.
 Allow them to dry.

If you haven't done it already, put the masking tape
on.

Put Vulkem in a small syringe (see Airstreamdreams).
Caulk seams.

Tool caulk with your finger.  You want to get a nice
smooth radius at the overlap.  Don't worry about
getting caulk on the tape.  The most important thing
is that the caulk layer be VERY THIN at the EDGES of
the tape.  Let it pile up in gobs in the middle of the
tape if that's what it takes to get it thin at the
edges.

Peel off the tape.  Be careful not to wipe the tape on
yourself or your Airstream.

Get your spouse.  Instruct him/her on how to act
impressed.  Enjoy.

NB:  Vulkem takes a while to dry.  Avoid the
temptation to touch it until a few hours have passed.
It can be cleaned up with mineral spirits.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander