Re: [VACList] Generator Question

I'd be very careful and investigate any Onan generator if I was to ever get
one.  I have read online some horror stories about their quality control
issues others have complained about.  Onan is not the only game in town but
it sure is a recognized name by those of us who own RVs for sure.

I've seen some pretty small diesel engine generators as well; John Deere
makes one or more that I know of.  The engine of the generator is not *the*
biggest issue; it's the generator itself that plenty of people complained
about that I read online.  As I recall Onan did stand behind their units but
these were *new* units and people were stuck with no electricity and parts
took forever to get to them.  What good are replacement parts that are still
defective from the get-go?

I've also been told that *if* I wanted to get a generator to travel with I
should pick up "just the generator" at an RV salvage yard.  Then I could
power it with whatever I wanted to personally.  I'm told that RV salvage
yards DO have generators from RVs that are very low in hours which makes
sense to me as they hardly ever get used sitting in someones driveway.

Tom