Re: [VACList] New Airstream Owner

Greetings Ivan!

Welcome to the list and the world of Vintage Airstreaming!

While your specific trailer isn't listed in the list found at the link
below, a 1957 26' Airstream had an empty weight of  3,170 pounds (before
options and without any fluids on board).  See:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/weights-1.pdf

When looking for a tow vehicle, you will likely need something capable of
towing at least 6,000 pounds to give yourself a "margin of safety".  With
options, and full loaded for an extended vacation, my '64 Overlander (26')
has a wet weight of approximately 6,000 pounds.  The pre-1960s coaches had a
bit lower weight, and I am something of a pack-rat so my trailer weight is
usually a bit higher than it should be.

There are any number of good potential tow vehicles out there, and erring on
the side of a bit more than is needed will result in more carefree
traveling.  I have towed my Overlander with a '95 K1500 Chevrolet extended
cab pickup (acceptable with 3.73 differentials, but not a pleasant vehicle
on mountain grades with trailer weight right at its maximum limit); and my
current '99 K2500 Suburban (454 VORTEC, and 4.10 differentials - - 10,000
pound trailer tow limit).  The Suburban has been an excellent tow vehicle
(just turned 105,000 miles) other than periodic problems with its 4 WD
transfer case electronics and mechanicals.  The Suburban is far more than
the minimum required, but what I have enjoyed about the vehicle is that it
has never given me any "white-knuckle" towing experiences as did my K1500
Chevrolet on several ocassions.

I have always wanted to tow my Overlander with a near mate vintage
automobile, but haven't as yet taken that plunge.  It looks like my first
attempt may be with my '75 Cadillac that has undergone modifications over
the past two years in preparation for trailer towing - - my first outing if
all goes as planned will be to the Morraine View State Park near
Bloomington, IL in June.  The intent was to tow my '78 Argosy with the
Cadillac, but it won't be available in time to go on that voyage; so I will
be trying the Airstream instead (no hills and the Overlander is just barely
within the factory trailer tow limit for the Cadillac).  Most of the large,
GM automobiles (prior to 1975); and the large Ford automobiles (prior to
1978) had sufficient trailer to rating to handle a 6,000 pound trailer when
properly equipped so they are a possibility - - much before 1972 and there
is concern with valve seat recision due to unleaded gasoline use with a
highly stressed motor.

Good luck in your quest for a tow vehicle.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
(Towcar-in-Training)