Re: [VACList] 1973 argosy stolen

Several months ago Jim & Dorothy Dupree had an insurance loss on their
trailer...This is part of an excerpt from their experience...The only thing
I would add is to gather photos and receipts to document what you did to
your trailer.

Judy White
72-27 Int'l Ambassador

Dupree email Quote:
The AS that was totaled was a 1976, 31' International Land Yatch. It was all
original, and in very good shape functionally. All original interior
upholstery etc..
It did  have some hail damage and pealing of the clear coat.
I contacted that insurance, Progressive, and of course they said take it to
a body shop!!!!! and get estimates, It took about a day to convince several
different adjusters that "you just don't take an AS to just any body shop. I
finally got and adjuster that had recently seen a segment on TV about
restored AS's.

Anyway, during all of this I had gone to internet, e-bay, AS classifieds etc
and got prices for like AS's. I had also gone to and I hope this is right,

http://www.vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_pricevscondition.html
and researched the how to value a vintage AS.

I made copies of all for the adjuster.

I had to take my AS to North Dallas RV (AS dealer) for estimate to repair
which of course far exceeded the  replacement cost.

This insurance co. started out at $2000, then $ $3000 the $5000 all the
while I was saying I wanted $8,000 and keep my old unit for parts or $ 9,000
flat.

They finally came in with a $7,500 offer and I grabbed it and ran.

I had purchased the trailer in 1991, for $3,000 of course I had done a lot
,new HW heater, furnace, front rock guard etc. But no skin repair. I would
say it was in above average condition.