Re: [VACList] painting the shroud

Daisy
If it's bare fiberglass and the part was made from a mold in which a parting
agent was used so the part could be easily separated from the mold, then you
will need to clean it well before sanding or painting. Since you're a DIY I
would recommend cleaning it with Isopropyl Alcohol, it's a good cleaner and
degreaser. Once you get it wipe down you should feel a noticeable difference
in the part. Then you can sand it with either 180 grit or 220 grit sand
paper. Some people may recommend Gel Coat for fiberglass, but a good coat of
polyurethane will work just fine. I've painted Gel Coat on sailboats that
lasted over seven years that I know of and I've painted a Corvette with
polyurethane that's lasted just as long with no problems. Also painted
numerous F-16/F-15's that fly fast and high with polyurethane and it stays
on fine. If you have a Sherwin Williams store near by they will have and
aerosol power pack that works much like an aerosol spray can with the
exception that you mix your own paint and spray what you want to, also
notice them at Home Depot.
As for the paint itself I would use an epoxy primer, and a base coat clear
coat paint.
The base is a flat paint which is easy to spray and the clear is the gloss
which can run quick so be careful and take your time, just spray it so it
looks wet then leave it alone. If you see some dry spots you may have missed
you can re-spray the whole thing later after its set up a while. A few coats
of clear will make it last a lot longer than one single coat.
Prep is the most important part. Clean it, scuff sand it, re-clean
(alcohol), then tack rag, prime, wait, paint, wait clear coat and your done.
Also the beauty of base/coat clear/coat is it will dry quick, if you get a
sag or run on the base or clear it's easy to fix and if you feel confident
and want it to dry faster, get a fast dry reducer, then you can install it
the same day.
Bobby