Re: [VACList] Replacing windows in a 1968

Hi Amanda:

Long time no....

The clips are just a bent piece of sheet metal.  On my trailer the metal is
bent so that it is a press fit over the glass.  IOW, it "should" be free to
slide on and off the glass.  The spring in the metal keeps it in place.
When it is engaged with the "grabber", and the window is closed, it can't go
anyplace.  The attachment to the glass only needs to be snug enough to keep
the clip from falling off when the window is open.

That being said, the clips may be glued on.  If that is the case you will
have to be a little more forthright in getting them off and may ruin them in
the process.  You should be able to get them off by the use of a chisel type
tool, getting under the clip and prying up (carefully).  I'm sure that Andy
would be delighted to sell some new ones.  Be sitting down when you get the
price.

Re: The trim.  Since Andy sold it to you, he should be able to tell you how
to use it <grin>.  Failing that, were it me I would cut the trim so that the
clip would attach directly to the glass.  The trim didn't come along until
'68, and even at that, most of those that I've seen don't have it.  I have a
lot of pictures of '68s and couldn't come up with any that would show if the
trim was cut or not.  None had the trim.

My opinion is that the trim was added in order to stiffen the pane, which is
quite flexible.  I don't imagine it helped much though.

Good luck,

GQ '67 Safari