[VACList] Replacing windows in a 1968

Hi,

I'm wondering whether anyone has any advice for me before I try to
install two new (old) windows in my '68 Safari.  (One to fill a gaping
hole left last fall when somebody tried to break in and one to replace a
plastic one.)

First question: there are two metal clips that attach to the bottom of the
glass to secure the window closed.  One of the windows I'm looking to
install is off a '67, so it doesn't have the metal trim that my '68 does;
the
clips are fastened right on the glass.  These clips are badly rusted, and
I'd like to remove them.  Any suggestions on how I might accomplish
this?  Brute force isn't really an option, given the fragility of the glass
they're attached to.

Secondly, I just finished prying the bits of broken glass out of my old
clips, and I didn't get the impression that there was room for anything in
there except the glass and this old rotted fabric that happened to be in
there too.  Yet the bottom section of the replacement metal trim I bought
from Inland is in one piece, and the trim on the second replacement
window doesn't have any gap for the clips either (this one didn't come
with clips).  This indicates that the clips must go OVER the trim, but
they sure as heck don't want to.  Are they really supposed to fit over the
trim?

Any other hints for this project also welcome.  I do have the manual that
explains how to do it in theory (it says I can pop right down to my dealer
to get the replacement glass!), but real-world advice is always nice.  I
am in mortal dread of screwing up and breaking them before I even get
them installed!

Thanks

Amanda