Re: [VACList] suggestions for removing floor section?

Jon

I have gutted and replaced sections of the floor in my 63 Overlander. The
rot that I encountered was located along the edge of the rearmost channel
and then some along the street side kitchen area. I'm wondering why your rot
would start in the middle and not also be present along the channels
(sides). Perhaps a previous owner let a bathroom/shower leak go uncorrected.

Assuming that you can isolate your repair area to only middle areas, you
could 1) locate the frame and stringers 2) remove the hold down bolts by
accessing them from the belly 3) cut the existing floor at the half-way
point above each frame/stringer using a circular saw and a plunge cut 4) cut
a new piece of subfloor from the appropriate thickness of marine/pressure
treated plywood 5) reattach with new floor bolts 6) sand and fill in
joints/gaps.

It's a lot of work and it isn't easy, especially getting that new section to
fit tightly as the "hole" you are creating will probably be somewhat out of
square. But it certainly can be done.

Triple check that there is no rot in the channels (sides) as this is the
time to correct it.

Phil Renner
63 Overlander