Re: [VACList] suggestions for removing floor section?

I did this on my '68 ambassador last spring.  I ended up removing a lot of
the rear bath parts because the rot actually ended up being much larger
than I initially thought.  You will have to remove the rear fiberglas wall
at least to get access to the rear part of the trailer floor.  I used a
small (51/2 inch) circular saw to cut the bad parts of the floor out.  On
the street side of the trailer there is a metal beam the forms the box for
the holding tank.  Using the bolts in the wood, I located the middle of
the beam and made my cut there so I would have something strong for the
patch panel to fit on.  The floor is sandwiched between an aluminum
channel along the rear of the trailer and there are bolts running through
the channel starting just outside each bumper support.  Mine were rusted
thoroughly so I used a dremel and cut them off.  The biggest problem I had
was getting the wood into the channel then dropping the front side down
flush with the old floor.  Takes a lot of room to maneuver making the
removal of the bathroom almost necessary.  Be careful when you cut the old
floor, you don't want to cut into your holding tank.  When putting the
patch in the rear portion, ensure you seal the end of the wood and seal
the aluminum well so water doesn't penetrate and cause the same problem.
I did use epoxy on some parts where the floor was soft, but there was
sufficient wood left to save.  You're welcome to contact me off list for
more info.
Pete