Re: [VACList] Double Bed

Greetings Ken!

Where the bed isn't somewhat permanently fixed, an innerspring mattress
would be more difficult to hinge or have multiple parts.  I know that when I
approached the representative at the mattress factory that made my custom
twins, he indicated that if the mattress had to be made in separate pieces
each would be treated as a separate mattress and thus be MUCH more costly.
The custom (othopedic supreme) "twin" mattresses for my Overlander were a
bit over $750.00 for the pair more than six years ago.  I would never
consider going back to foam for this "permanent" installation.

I am currently having my the interior restored in my Argosy Minuet 6.0
Metre, and high-density foam is being used for both gouchos as innerspring
mattresses would be prohibitively expensive and possibly not as comfortable
given the number of pieces that would be involved.  I imagine that the
psuedo innerspring mattresses as used on modern "hide-a-beds" could be
custom made for such an arrangment, but I would be concerned about the
probable quality and durability issues with the upholstery in the gaucho
situation - - it might, however, be an option for a "retractable bed"
arrangement in the bedroom area of one of the larger coaches.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado (Tow-Car-In-Training)