RE: [VACList] Double Bed

Jim,
I'm just finishing up the interior on my '68 Ambassador.  It was initially a
twin bed setup.  I tried to put at least a queen bed in the center section,
but couldn't move the walls in the rear bath, so I couldn't get the
clearance and still move around the bed.  I ended up making a pull-out
double bed with three sections of dense foam for the mattress.  It is about
56X76, but I will have to check my receipts and measure to make sure of the
actual size.  It is not a standard size so I looked for the dense foam for
the mattress.  There are several mattress mfgs. out there that will makea
custom size, but they are VERY expensive.  I also have a '60 safari with a
middle bedroom and it has a "double" bed in it.  It is too small for two
mature adults, but does have a foam mattress and I've been very happy with
it.  Anyway, I made a pull out plywood bottom with 1X4 frame that pulls out
and makes the bed.  It is still not as roomy as our king bed, but is large
enough for the two of us and still leaves enough room to go forward or to
the rear bath.  I built a dresser on the opposite side and it is wonderful
to have all of the storage space.  I've got some pictures on my site at
http://groups.msn.com/Petesairstreampix although it doesn't show the bed
extended.  I found the foam at
http://www.knoxfoam.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/?E+scstore.  I ussed their
custom foam with waterproof covers and am very pleased.  (no financial
interest or otherwise).  If you have any other questions or want additional
pictures or information please contact me off list.
Good Luck!
Pete