Re: [VACList] pressure water tank

I can't directly answer your 2 questions. But when I replaced my round tank I
had another constraint that turned out to be the hardest to solve. I have a 63
Globetrotter that has the water tank across the front and a neat brass filler on
the front of the coach near the gas bottles. I wanted to leave this original
filler where it was and keep it functional. I found several local dealers could
order the round galvanized tank for about $600. But the original tank had a pipe
welded into the side of the tank for the brass filler to connect to. It appeared
to me that has been added to the tank at the Airstream Factory. On a new metal
tank I would have had to find a local welder to add that to the new tank.
A plastic tank from Allrite was half the cost and I though that it would be
easier to cut holes and add the required outlet/inlets in the plastic. 'Twas
easy to cut the holes but I never could get the "twist to tighten"
inlet/outlets" to stop leaking. Tried epoxy and silicon to glue them in but
leaks would spring up after a few trips. I finally pulled the tank and shipped
it back to Allrite and had them "plastic or spin weld" the required threaded
fittings into the holes I had cut. So if you go the plastic route consider
getting the supplier to weld in the fittings you will need.

I thought about welding or soldering the pinholes in my metal tank but when I
closely examined the bottom of the tank I could see many other rust spots that
weren't leaking yet.

I have a can of POR15s brand of gas tank sealer. It states on the label "Harmful
or fatal if swallowed ...." But thats before it dries. You also have to use
several cleaners to prep the inside of the tank. Typically something to clean
out the gum and varnish and then a metal prep.