[VACList] 1964 Land Yacht Overlander

We have recently become the owners of a 1964 Overlander.  We have been Airstreamers for
quite a while and just saw this unit on the side of the road.  About 10 minutes later we
towed away our new second RV.  Our plan is to restore the unit.  The trailer is reasonably
sound and has all of the original interior. The major flaw is the rear bath plumbing.....
it appears to have been renovated for permanant setup.  I plan to install two tanks and
gate valves as we have in the 1992 Excella.

My question is: What should I start on to see if there is a valid reason to abandon the
renovation plan?  I feel like I can handle pluming, electrical and such since I am a
mechanical contractor.  I see notes from time to time about axle replacements.  What
drives this issue?  The original documents are in the trailer and we bought it within five
miles of where is was sold new in 1964.  The exterior is almost perfect.  The tires were
rotten but since we live 6 miles from where we found it, I towed it home at 10 MPH with
no problems.  Should I start with brakes and bearings and work my way up?  The undershell
aluminum is in good shape with the exception of the rear under the bathroom.  I stock
sheet aluminum in my warehouse, so I can fix this.

Final question for today-----the floor is Ok but a little spongy in a couple of places.
What if I remove the carpet and then put 1/4" underlayment down and re-carpet? Is this
viable?

Stop to see us::::: Clay & Judy 2623

Who do you see to join the VAC group?