RE: [VACList] 1964 Land Yacht Overlander

Greetings Clay and Judy!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming and 1964 Overlander
ownership.  You will surely get a tremendous amount of pleasure from
your new acquisition.  I have owned my '64 Overlander for almost eight
years, but went on my first camping trip in the trailer when it was
brand new.

The original setup would have been a black water tank mounted at the
center rear of the coach with the dump valve centered on the rear
bumper.  There was no gray water tank, but the owner's manual suggests
that opening the gate valve to allow gray water to back up into the
black tank was one method to deal with situations where gray water
needed to be contained.  I generally carry a blue tank when trailering
with my Overlander.

Two things that you might want to check would include the following:

1.)  The wheels would have originally been split-rims.  If they are
still on the trailer, the general consensus is that these should be
replaced with appropriately rated trailer wheels.  I purchased
appropriately rated trailer wheels for my Overlander from my Good Year
tire dealer when he installed my new Good Year Marathon ST radials.

2.)  When checking the brakes, you might find that only one axle has
brakes.  Notes and documents that came with my coach indicated that only
one axle had brakes from the factory (brakes on the second axle were
optional).  The original owners of my coach added brakes on the second
axle in 1965.

When looking for leaks, the two that caused me the most trouble on my
coach was one located in the vicinity of the rear one-stop service
compartment - - it was primarily caused by faulty sealing around the
rear clearance lights and a funneling effect from the cover on the rear
bumper compartment cover.  Once both of these areas were well sealed,
the area has been water tight.

The second problematic leak was one that resulted in a puddle in front
of the refrigerator.  It turned out that the sealing around the
refrigerator vent was the culprit.

I am currently awaiting the verdict from my Airstream dealer regarding
the condition of the axles on my coach.  I discovered a new crack in the
interior skin above the entry door which leads me to believe that my
axles are likely on the way out.

You can down-load and print the VAC Membership Application at:

http://www.airstream.net/application.pdf

Good luck with your Overlander!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359