Re: [VACList] Winterizing in Virginia . . .

Hi Joy,

Your hurried efforts to freeze proof are fully understood. The night you did
your deed was the night we were rolling into Skippers, VA after three
previous nights of temperatures in the mid 20s at our place in Upstate New
York.  Our pipes survived with no leaks. I would not have taken bets on it.

I know it doesn't pay to be cavalier about freezing temperatures, but I've
revised my thinking about how low and for how long the temperature can be
below 25 degrees without doing harm to our Airstream's antique water system.

> So, the procedure was a bit long, but filling the system with RV antifreeze
> was quick and simple.  In the spring, it will be simple to add water to the
> potable water tank and purge the system of antifreeze.  Then, if I'm really
> frugal, I could recover near most of the gallon for next years use?  Can't
> think that any beasties could grow in propylene glycol.  Pretty cheap at
> near $4 a gallon, or is that expensive.

Joy, those were my sentiments until the price of came down to $1.86 a gallon
at our local True Value Hardware store in Albany, NY. As you said, it's a
pretty cheap way to go - especially when hustling to get the job done and
not wanting to leave any room for mistakes.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net