[VACList] Winterizing in Virginia . . .

Hi All,

Last night, it was forecast to freeze and I hurriedly removed all the hoses
from the faucets.  Not much worry as freeze proof faucets are not needed in
this area.  Seldom gets cold enough to damage faucets unless the hose holds
the water in the faucet.  Washington, DC is a different matter as it
typically gets down to minus 10 degrees for short periods during the winter.
But here in southern VA, it doesn't get that cold - at least in this area.

So, I decided at midnight to blow the water lines out.  I'd already drained
them.  Surprised me that so much water was left in the line.  Try and try as
I might at 40 psi, I didn't get all the water out of the lines.  Absolutely
no success with the water heater draining.  So, I figured that most of the
water was out and I closed the bypass valves.  Frustrated, I opted to fill
the system with RV antifreeze.

Well, filling the system with antifreeze is the purpose of this note, so
I'll get on with it.  When I installed the Sureflo water pump, I connected
the potable water tank to the pump with the fiber reinforced PVC.
Additionally, I opted to put the coil spring inside the hose as with the
original installation to prevent collapse from the pump pressure.  The hose
connected to the pump with a finger fittings.  I fashioned a like fixture on
the end of similar hose, connected it to the pump and put the open end in
the gallon of RV antifreeze.  I was startled that it took near the whole
gallon just to fill the pipes.  With the pump running, it only took a few
minutes to vent the shower mixer, the toilet valve, the vanity sink, and the
galley sink.  The outflow went into the drains and I assume will prevent
freeze.  However, when I replaced the original pump hose, I poured what was
left in the gallon jug into the drains.

So, the procedure was a bit long, but filling the system with RV antifreeze
was quick and simple.  In the spring, it will be simple to add water to the
potable water tank and purge the system of antifreeze.  Then, if I'm really
frugal, I could recover near most of the gallon for next years use?  Can't
think that any beasties could grow in propylene glycol.  Pretty cheap at
near $4 a gallon, or is that expensive.

There you have it - a first hand experience at winterizing with RV
antifreeze.  Not opinion, just the facts!

                                          '74 Argosy, Joy