[VAC] Re: new participant and axles

Hi Bob,

AXLES DON'T LAST FOREVER!  AT LEAST THE PRE-'75 MANUFACTURE AXLES.

If you haven't been in the market for new axles for your vintage Airstream
within the past  year or so, then  you might not be aware that Inland RV is
the only source for original manufacture replacement axles.  The price
jumped from just over $400 per axle to $800 when Inland RV obtained a sole
distributor contract with Henchen for axles over 20 years old.  Axles under
20 years must be ordered from Airstream.  There are no direct sales to the
public for Argosy or Airstream axles!

Inland priced it's axles to be somewhat less than Airstream would charge.
Andy says that the change in price from $400 to $800 is the American way of
doing business! :)  Once a seller corners the market, price the item at what
ever the market will bear.

Competitive hub to hub torque axles sell for about $325.

Southwest Wheel has an interesting axle that has replacement parts, the
spindle, the torque arm, and the cartridge.  The cartridge can be tuned to
the weight needed for the application.  The representative I talked to said
that he'd personally replaced damaged  inferior Henchen axles on Airstream
travel trailers? :)  Unfortunately, mounting brackets must be welded to the
Airstream.

Dexter axles can be ordered as bolt on for my Argosy.  Only a slight
modification to the original Argosy mounting bracket is required. :)  It's
my intent to order this axle to replace the Henchen axles on my Argosy.
I'll keep the list posted of my success or failure with this project.

Yes, the Dexter would love to sell several hundred axles, but quoted a price
for a single axle when I provided the specifications.

Is my interest in marketing axles?  Nope, just trying to get my Argosy on
the road with the purchase of axles at a fare price.

Is there a better mouse trap?

Has the golden Henchen axle goose died?

Have you checked your axles recently?

                   Regards, '74 Argosy, Joy