[VAC] Re: Rectangle vents and window operators

Bob,
Producing exact duplicates of obsolete parts is very expensive in small quantities. When this part was originally produced the anticipated sales were significantly more than the volumes that Andy uses when he does his costing. Tooling costs are usually the biggest deterrent from fabricating parts exactly. If Andy decided to fab these particular parts "exactly" as original very few, if any of us would be able to afford to buy one, and he would eventually go out of business. You're right, these vent openers are not perfect replicas however they do work as delivered and look good and at $54 each well worth it.  With a bit of ingenuity the original handles could be made to work on these lifters however from what I've heard the original handles are as rare as hens teeth as well.
As far as freeing up old "frozen operators" is concerned, I too have the same problem. I have always found that applying a reasonable amount of heat to "frozen" metal assemblies works the best. Finding the right amount is the tough part. I will typically heat all over with a torch and try working the mechanism back and forth until it starts to move. Then keep heating & working it until its loose enough then apply some oil when it cools off sufficiently. Another approach is to heat the assembly then rapidly quench it in water several times. This will break the corrosion that is holding them together and the mechanism usually will start to move. I think a propane torch should be hot enough for a job like this.
Hope this helps you out,
Colin Hyde
57 Sovereign of the Road
59 Ambassador International