[VAC] updating to external utilities

I don't want you to think we're ignoring you.  I have been wondering the
same thing.  Like you I don't want to destroy the vintage look.  I have
put a new female water connection (The trailer connection should be female
to work with a standard hose) inside the original electrical access cover
but don't find this very accessible. I think I will put together a short
flexible pigtail with a quick connect that can be left attached and folded
into the original compartment. I used a connector through the floor into
the compartment with an aluminum flange that is available from RV catalogs.
I used the one without a backflow preventer so my pipes could drain from
this connection since it is a low point in my water lines. I also put a
ball valve inside the trailer and accessible from a hatch so I could close
this connection when using the water pump.  I will continue to fill my new
tank from the original water tube at the front of the trailer but have
eliminated and patched all other drain lines through the belly.

As far as electric I still have a 15 foot cord folded up in the same
compartment.  I am warming to the idea of shortening that to about 18 inches
and carrying a couple of heavy duty extension cords but I haven't done it
yet.  I don't have AC so I don't need the existing 30 amp cord but I am
hesitant to give it up.

The real bugger is your question about critters.  I've noticed new units
where the cord storage area has a cut out just the right size for the cord
to hang through.  presumably when the cord is stowed this small hole is
covered.  In my case I would have to allow for both water and electric
from the same compartment and then figure out how to cover the small holes
when the utilities are stowed. Since this involves cutting into the hatch
door I am very hesitant to do it.  For now the door is open to all critters
when my utilities are connected.

Good luck with your changes.  I am curious about the new utility door.  Is
it aluminum?  Where did you get it?

Dick
'62 Bambi