[VAC] Re: Painting of an Airstream

Greetings David!

It sounds as if you may be facing the same situation that was
encountered with my 1964 Overlander.  I hadn't noticed the problem, but
the Ruth's found it nearly immediately when they polished my trailer
last year.  An earlier owner had sanded most of the curb side panel.
The sanding marks were polished out, but not without cost - - several
hundred dollars between extra machine work and labor.

While I am very satisfied with the quality of the polish job on my
coach, I am not so certain that I might not consider a high quality
paint job knowing what I know now.  The trailer now looks just like it
did the day that friends of my family towed it home in 1964.  At this
point, I am trying to determine if there is any difference in the amount
of work involved in the twice annual Walbernizing as opposed to the
semi-annual wax jobs that a painted coach would require.  With my recent
acquisition of the '78 Argosy, I will have the opportunity to compare
each process.

My personal conclusion has been that polishing isn't so important to me.
After having my rig polished, I find myself realizing that I don't
really care whether I have a show-quality restoration - - I just want a
presentable, comfortable traveling vehicle.  My primary objective is to
have a unit that I can enjoy traveling in after weeks of 12 and 14 hour
days teaching in our public school system.

I hope that the sanded panels don't prove to be the problem that the
panels were on my coach.

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359