[VAC] Re: Updating to External Utility Connections

Greetings Huff!

I have had the updates performed that you are contemplating.  These
updates were done shortly after I purchased my 1964 Overlander.  The
service facility did not consult me and when I questioned the
modifications, I was told that "code" required these updates as part of
the re-plumbing and re-wiring process.

I can't really complain about the city water connection.  It works quite
well, and provides some much needed separation from the electrical
service and dump valve.  The intake is mounted through a hole that was
cut in the rear panel of the trailer about 8 inches above the bumper.
The device is white enamel, but since this project was completed, I have
seen the same device in chrome which would be much more complimentary to
the Airstream coach.

The electrical connection on the other hand has been nothing other than
an extreme headache.  The hatch is mounted through a hole that was cut
in the rear panel of the trailer about 4 inches above the bumper.  The
plastic housing is temperamental at best, and is often difficult to
close when the cord is stored.  Most frustrating of all is the constant
problem of the 30-Amp umbilical cord constantly becoming tangled in the
plumbing and univolt equipment found in its nesting area.  While I
haven't had problems with mice up to this point, I had continual
problems with a brand X trailer and this type of connector.  The only
pest problem that I have noticed since this was installed is an increase
in the number of spiders that find their way into the coach.

These updates modernize the coach, but I am not convinced that they are
that much of an improvement as it is still often necessary to open the
one-stop utility center to untangle the 30-amp umbilical cord.  I am
also not certain that either one is a long-term solution as both devices
are mostly plastic which I fear will become brittle with age and need
replacement in the not too distant future.

Good luck with your decision!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359