[VAC] Re: Water lines

I just spent the last several weeks redueing all the plumbing in my Safari.
I have not presurized it with water yet though...

I looked into using PEX which is the more flexable line and freeze
tollerant.  However, due to local availabilty and price I chose to go with
CPVC.

PEX requires either a special crimping tool for the fittings or a
compression type typically called Quest fittings.  The quest fittings,
elbows, tees, 45's etc... are on average $4 each.  The corresponding
fittings in CPVC are less than a dollar each.

CPVC is a special kind of PVC used for hot and cold potable water.  It will
be damaged by freezing if not proper winterized just like copper.  The
fittings are glued with CPVC cement and primer.

I spent around $230 replacing all the copper pipes, check valves, drain
valves, etc.  I even added three valves on the water heater for a
winterizing bypass.  Even though I probably will never need it since I live
in California.

I have not tried to pressurize it yet so we will have to see how it works
out.  I just replaced the kitchen faucet today.

I had to have a friend come by with a recipicating saw to the old faucet
apart because the nuts holding it on were frozen from 30 years of corrosion!

-Tim
tim@telecom-pros.com
http://www.telecom-pros.com/tim/tim