[VAC] Re: Water lines

Hi Kathy,

There was quite a discussion about the size PEX tube to use as a replacement
for copper.  Some liked 3/8 and others liked 1/2 inch.  The connectors are
swaged copper or machined brass and use a compression ring to seal the
connection.  For some situations, Quest fittings are appropriate (where the
plumbing will be opened from time to time) for runs to faucets, etc.  There
are connectors that connect directly to the 1/2 inch pipe fittings on
typical faucets.  Also, connections to a water heater must use a Quest
fitting with a brass thread connection to the tank.  Some fittings don't
tolerate the direct heat of a water heater.

I like PEX and have used it exclusively in both my '69 Safari and '74
Argosy.  The only remaining copper in the Safari is the pressure valve to
the shore coupling and the runs to the shower. I haven't finished the shower
yet and may change even these to PEX.  The shower line is usually the first
to freeze! :(

Yes, the PEX can expand to about twice it's original diameter without damage
to the tube.  However, such expansion can stretch the compression rings.
This can be corrected by using the compression tool to recrimp the fittings.
Good reason to buy the tool and keep it in the tool box.  I keep quite a few
Quest fittings, compression rings, PEX fittings, etc. in my tool box.

Recently, I had to remove the shower panel with mixer valve and had to cut
into the PEX plumbing to remove the panel.  A wire from the tail light
connection separated and cutting through the inside skin to reconnect it was
an only option.  By the way, a Rotozip tool is a wonderful tool for this
kind of operation.  Just set the depth to just cut through the skin and a
neat access port can be cut out.  Then, just pop rivet a new piece of
aluminum over the port.

Anyway, this time, I used Quest fittings to rejoin the shower lines.  NO
PROPANE TORCH REQUIRED!  Means I can open them easily if the need arises in
the future.  I might mention that I use one of those ratchet pruning cutters
to cut the PEX.  Simple and much quicker than pruning a branch. NEVER HAVE
TO WRESTLE WITH A TUBING CUTTER OR SAW IN A CRAMPED SPACE.

Finally, if you need to snake the replacement tube under and/or around stuff
at floor level, PEX will take an incredible bend without kinking or
breaking.

With regard to CLEAN copper tube for propane supply lines.  I wouldn't
substitute anything for copper.  Make proper flare connections.  Keep the
tube diameters as original to maintain flow volume.  Use proper tubing
benders to prevent kinks, etc.  Do not use teflon tape on propane fittings.
Such as brass fittings that attach directly to a regulator, etc.  Use a
proper paste specified for gas lines.

Now, you have at hand all that I've learned about replacing water and gas
lines.  You'll never be sorry that you chose PEX unless you use very high
concentrations of chlorine bleach in PEX - that's a NO-NO!

                        Regards, Joy