[VAC] removing reflectors and nameplate for polishing

hi there:  I've checked tom's vaclist archive and haven't found a
specific answer to my question:

I've got a 69 globetrotter and have been stripping it in preparation to
polish.  I want to remove the refrigerator vent cover on the roof which
is pop-riveted on, as are marker reflectors.  I'd also like to remove
and refurbish the nameplates on front and back of the trailer.   any
suggestions on 'easy' ways to remove these things?  I know next to
nothing
about rivets and riveting so I thought I'd consult the list before I get
myself into something I can't reverse.   I read in some list entries
that people drill out the rounded rivets on the nameplates.  would
someone discuss that technique? same procedure for pop rivets?  other
tips?  am I better off leaving everything intact and stripping and
polishing around these items?  the refrigerator vent, though, really
needs to come off so that I can repaint it as well.

let me know.  thanks in advance.
Ken Roth
kr@kenroth.com