[VAC] Re: removing reflectors and nameplate for polishing

Hi Ken,

I have '69 Safari that has similar name plate problems.  I found that the
light bezels are riveted from the inside as might be some of the name
plates.  Removal involves a thin blade being driven under the attachment to
cut the rivets off.  Replacement is accomplished by drilling through from
the outside and securing with new pop rivets.  More than likely, the name
plate will be broken as it's really fragile chrome covered pot metal?

I haven't tackled the refrigerator or other vent covers yet - still working
on the inside of the Safari.  I note that the covers are in poor condition
and are mostly cracked around the rivets, etc.  An exact replacement might
not be available if it is broken during removal or reinstallation - a good
bet to happen.   I drilled some buck rivets out by punching as close to the
center of the head as possible and using an undersized drill.  Pretty easy
to pop the heads off with a chisel once they are drilled.

Keep me posted about your successes/failures so I can work smarter when I
get to this restoration. :)

                      '69 Safari, Joy