[VAC] Re: Replacing Water Tank -

Hi guys- I have just finished installing from scratch a new water system in
my '64 Globetrotter, putting a new 30 gal poly tank up front, instead of the
original along side the wheel well, streetside. This is NOT an original
restoration...
I will build a dinette opposite the galley, and the front will be a bed over
the new water tank. The old fill hose  will come out, and I will patch over
the spot, before painting inside. The outside will probably stay the same
looking, after I seal it. (would not want to fill it, forgetting ). The
nearby access panel will still be visible on the inside, but I will think of
something creative to use that for.
For the new tank fill , I have located a new fill port, which I got at the
local RV parts place. It is a modern (female) hose attachment, with a
plastic flap to seal it off.
Total about 3 " diameter. This required drilling (!) about a 1 inch hole in
the front  wall, slightly above the tank.  It attaches with 3 rivets  or
screws on a plastic flange.  To connect it, I had intended on using clear 1
1/4" hose. but the tight bend was going to cause a kink. But then I saw a
hose at the parts place, that has reinforcing coil on the outside, for water
use, a green & white color at $2.50 /ft. This will bend tightly, but not
kink. An right angle adapter gets it to connect to the fixture, and Hose
clamp to the tank.  While this is not as versatile as the original opening,
I basically always use a hose to fill the tank. (with filter when
travelling). I will not be able to pour from a jug, for instance if need be,
but could easily make a funnel-hose combo if I had to.
Feed to the shure-flo pump in back is mostly CPVC, but connection to pump is
a flexible clear pvc hose, for disconnect ease. From the pump, I built a
manifold of CPVC, with inlets for pump & city water at opposite, ends, then
take-offs for water heater & cold system( bath/shower. lav/toilet). The city
water inlet will serve a drain. Hot side has its' own drain. From this
manifold, all tubing is 1/2" & 1/4" ID PEX, which is very lightweight &
flexible. QEST fittings screw directly onto new faucet fixtures, and remain
snug.
Hope some of this is helpful to your project.
Jere Potter
Fort Collins,CO