[VAC] Water stained subfloor

Jeanne,
Can't answer all of your questions, but the floor definitely goes beyond the
inner wall and terminates at the outer skin.  The outer skin wraps around
the floor and forms a channel that the wood fits into.  Unless it is
terribly rotted, I would not replace it.  The best thing I have found to
repair the floor is penetrating epoxy.  It penetrates the wood and makes it
waterproof, hard, and a great base to put new carpet or other flooring
materials over.  I can provide a internet source for the epoxy if you can't
find a local supplier, no financial interest etc.  Please contact me off the
list.  I haven't tried Git Rot but is sounds like a similar product.  My '68
floor is not nailed down, but is bolted to the frame with carraige bolts.
Really can't say what is below your '71 couch area as I have no experience
with that model.  BTW, I LOVE vulkem for sealing any opening in the
exterior - personal opinion.
Good Luck
Pete