[VAC] Dump Valves

I have just returned from a 4 month 8000 mile trip with the (silver
Abaltross) It lived up to its name.About 6 weeks into the trip i tried to
dump the tank and the dump valve handle pulled off into my hand and the valve
remaned closed. this is the 2nd time this has happened the 1st time I had
just installed it and the 1st time I pulled it it broke the dealer said that
was the !st time he eaver heard of that happining(when I brake any thing it I
always have a 1st time) he was happy to sell me another one for $18.00 as
they are not guarenteed apairntly oping the package voids the warrentee. In a
rest Stop in WI.I managed to chisel a path in the plastic swo that I could
use a screw driver to open the valve. When it did open it dumped the contents
of the holding tank into my lap spoiled my happy outlook on life for a while
Thank goodness that it was raining eavery thing was washed away. Has any one
had a similar provlem with the plastic dump valves? I am thinking about
making a stainless steel gate and welding the shaft to it ar else trying to
locate a couple of plastic 3in globe valves.
Jim Smith
1965 Tradewind(The silver Abaltross)
1992 Dodge Cummins Diesel.