[VAC] Re: wandering van updatewandering Michelin LTX tires

I don't understand the problems you are having with Michelin light truck
tires and directional stability.  I have had several sets of Michelin LTX
tires on different GM (actually Chevrolet) 3/4 ton pickups and was very
favorably impressed with their stability and other tire performance
parameters.

My only thought is that you have them way under inflated. Thus they are
flexing too much.  More air pressure will stiffen them up. These tires can
easily take 50 PSI and give you a comfortable ride. [I would not go lower
than 45 PSI].

Using different tire pressures front and rear might be helpful [less
pressure where there is a lighter load] but be careful not to go below
around 40 PSI.

I never had a problem with 50 PSI all around with an unloaded 3/4 ton
pickup, even though heavy duty pickups have a reputation for being a little
loose in the rear when empty.

Another possibility is improper balancing.  Find a tire dealer or truck/car
dealer with a Hoffman or FMC computer balancer (FMC imports or licenses the
Hoffman technology, the best in the world). You also should check the wheel
bearings, ball joints and shock absorbers.

Michelin truck tires are about as good as you can get.  They are ROUND,  and
roll very smoothly.  By the same token, they do not mask other instability
or vibration sources.  I seriously doubt that the Michilen tires are the
problem (although it is possible, I guess,  to get a bad tire).

Good luck,

Oliver Filippi