[VAC] Re: '74 Argosy TV antennae vs. satellite?.

Hi Joy, I use a free standing unit that I mounted on a piece of plywood
(2.5' X 2.5') with  two bubble levels like those sold in RV stores as one
circular device for mounting on the tongue of an RV. After I have it 4 way
level, I sight on the satellite with my handy dandy compass. Sometimes when
we're among trees, I use my audible finder. The actual Dish is permanently
mounted to the plywood.

I lay the plywood on a plastic milk crate. It's really quite simple. We've
only been using this combination for 60 months (since 1998), but it's been
really satisfactory. In the Van, I secure the plywood and Dish to its' own
seat with a seat belt.

I see other RVers using more sophisticated systems for securing their Dish,
but I've never felt the need to "anchor" it with weights or use "ropes and
stakes"  or build a "special mount and pole" and attach it to our trailer.

Like you, I don't set up the satellite when pulling an overnighter.

The channel I like most is Weather. When not using our Dish, I have three
portable radios for finding a weather channel and even then, sometimes I
strike out. Two of my radios have different channels built into them.

The best radio is a Radio Shack cube with a sliding scale instead of
crystals. Almost always, it brings in a signal.I've been known to drive over
100 miles out of our way to avoid tornados, hurricanes and intense foul
weather. Foolish perhaps, but that's my choice.

> I noticed during several East/West crossings that many RVs pull off the main
> roadway and do not use campgrounds.  Think they made the trek before and knew
> where this was possible.

When I see that occurring, it's not uncommon for me to knock on doors and
get the hot scoop. Most folks are pleased to share their insights and almost
always, they agree to leave their CB on all night at an agreed upon channel.
It's not much, but it's reassuring to know that someone else is available as
eyes and ears should a problem occur.

> However, I like the margin of personal safety provided by the commercial
> campgrounds.

That makes sense. Each of us has to live with our own feelings about
personal safety. So far, Sandie and I have not had an occasion where we were
concerned about personal safety. But, we're not cavalier about it either.

We've even come around to an attitude that a diesel truck engine running all
night is music. Again, foolish perhaps. But, all of us are different. It
would be a boring world if all of us were the same.

Thanks for the direct post. It's good to chit chat off line once in awhile,

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@mac.com