[VAC] Re: Rest Area "Camping"

Greetings Dave and Ann!

I know that it is technically illegal to "camp" overnight at Interstate
Highway Rest Areas in most states.

But, sometimes I dont have the luxury of a leisurely drive, stopping in
the
early evenings at a "real" campground. So I pull over in the truck
parking
area of an Interstate Highway Rest Area, lower the tongue jack enough to

take the weight off the truck ball, crawl into my trailer bed and call
it a
night.

I was wondering if anyone has gotten into trouble doing this, either by
having the Highway Patrol waking them up and making them move on, or by
receiving a ticket?

I have never received a ticket, but an Illinois State Highway Officer
woke us shortly before 5 a.m. one morning in 1970 when we had parked for
more than 3-hours in a rest area along Interstate 57 in central
Illinois.  We were simply advised to move on that stays of more then
3-hours were prohibited.  We were in our home state less than 100 miles
from home and had stopped simply because we had overestimated the travel
time between the Covered Bridge Festival in Indiana and our home in
northern Illinois.

This is a method that I have only tried twice - - and both instances
were the result of overestimating travel times (days before laptop
computers and Rand McNally Trip Maker) and I was traveling with other
family members.  I was terribly uneasy both times when in a truck camper
with immediate access between cab and camper - - I have never felt safe
considering doing this with my trailer - - especially with the number of
horror stories we have had in Illinois with murders and violent attacks
in rest areas over the past two decades.   I also am a FreeWheeler so I
am traveling solo most of the time which helps to influence my
accommodation decisions.

I know that security can be an issue as well. Any thoughts on that
point?

Dave

Dave & Ann Lowrey - dave_lowrey@yahoo.com

WBCCI: 5074

1977 31' Sovereign International (center bath)
Cincinnati, Ohio