[VAC] Re: Bambi Tires

Dick,

On my 1961 Bambi I have converted over to a 14 inch wheel with aluminum mags.
It looks pretty good and usually 14" gives more load range than 13" tires.

On my trailer, and a number of Airstreams, one wheel well is tighter than the
other. One needs to be very careful about tire clearance. For the last seven
years I've been running Toyo Z-800 plus (They are now Unltras) radial tires.
The size that works for me is P185/75R14. I don't recall the load range
rating.  They are rated at 1,290 lbs per tire. That is 2,580 lbs total on the
axle. With the few hundred lbs on the hitch this gives good extra for weight
as dry the trailer is around 1,850 lbs. When fitting tires in a limited area
the offset of the wheel is very important.

I've towed through hot desert at freeway speeds, traveled during very windy
conditions, and have been on some very rough out back roads (carefully). These
tires have been used for many miles with no troubles at all. My spare tire is
still unused, ...... though I check the pressure in it to keep it ready just
in case. One friend, an Argosy owner, says I have too good of tire for the
little Bambi. EXACTLY, ................ on a single axle trailer I want the
best I can get. Besides, ......... there are only two to buy!!   (:

Pat