[VAC] Re: tongue set-up

Dick,
  I often use a product called "Extend" to arrest rust.

On our A/S, I used a piece of 3/4" EMT and an LB to run the umbilical
cable through. The LB went into the belly skin adjacent to the junction
box area and was clamped to the frame, just under the front of the
trailer body. Naturally, I installed a bushing to protect the cable
where it exited the EMT, then filled the end of the conduit with that
spray foam stuff to seal it up. It was difficult to even see the conduit
without crawling around on the ground, so I didn't feel that it affected
the appearance.

I found the rust deterioration when I tried to remount the little ball
for the anti-sway friction bar. Was going to drill & tap the frame
member, but it was too far gone to hold threads. I checked the other
side and found that it was OK. I have a feeling that this isn't an
uncommon situation, as I remember seeing pictures back in 1999 of a
listee's trailer, sitting alongside the road with a broken 'A' frame.
One factor in the breakage was the strain from the spring bars, and that
was one reason I didn't use them at all.

                              <<Jim>>