[VAC] Re: Refrigerator vents

Bob,

I installed a new Dometic fridge several years ago on my 60
Caravanner.  The original vent was about a 1.5" diameter hole through the
roof that connect via the inner area between the inner and outer skins to
the fridge.  This original vent is completely inadequate for a new Dometic
(at least for mine).  Using the installation instructions for the new
Dometic, I used a sheet of stainless steel to form a vent with the inner
skin and the two curved pieces of plywood to form the side walls.  This is
the chimney that is required for operation of the fridge.  The lower end of
the vent was sealed with the top of the shelf fitting over the fridge.

I bought the AS collar that goes through the inner and outer skin which is
how the chimney vents to the outside.  The AS collar had to be shortened to
fit between the ribs in my Caravanner.  This was easy to do and will be
obvious once you see the collar.  Now, the vent collar is covered with a
new AS vent cover.  No need to cut the vent cover.  Now the only thing left
is to get air in from the outside.  My original fridge access cover was
used but it did not have any vents or louvers to allow air to enter.  I
decided to modify the original door by cutting three rectangular
openings.  I found an aluminum louvered panel from the Coast catalog which
fit my door.  This was riveted to the door to cover the cut outs.

The chimney needs to be sealed from the air inside the trailer for safety
reasons.  I believe Tom Howarth put a louvered fridge access door on his 53
Flying Cloud.  You may want to contact him for information about the door.

Hope this helps.

Garnett Horner
60 Caravanner
WDCU OBX Rally Aug. 15-18