[VAC] Re: Cracks in Fiberglas or plastic end caps help

Blair,

First, I have not done the repairs you mention. I will give you my
thoughts how I would attempt the repairs.

I would first sand the paint away in the area around the crack. I would
get some West System epoxy. Get some mirco-spheres, mirco-balloons, or
some type of filler they sell to make the epoxy very viscous...you want
something thick enough so that it will stay in place while it cures. So,
push this epoxy into the crack and let cure. Next, I would get some
fiberglass cloth and cut some patches that cover the crack area plus
several inches on either side of the crack. Make sure the paint is removed
from the patch area. Now mix the epoxy straight without fillers. Soak the
fliberglass cloth in the epoxy. You will need to figure out an ingenious
way to hold the cloth in place while it cure. You could cover the wet
cloth with wax paper and use a spong held by tape against the wax paper,
for example. After curing the cloth can be sanded smooth and re-painted.

Hope this helps.

Garnett
60 Caravanner
WDCU, OBX Rally, Aug. 15-18