[VAC] Blocking diode (?)

Hi all -

This is sort of peripheral to Airstreams but I figure some of you folks
spend a lot more time at the hardware store than I do so here goes -

I have a small solar panel that I use to charge my laptop when I'm working
in the field (I use it for bird banding data). The panel has a cigarette
lighter plug and I use the regular auto adapter for the laptop. Anyway, I
just got a new laptop and suddenly I am draining my battery every time a
cloud goes by (though we don't have many here). This never happened with my
old machine; I think it must have had some sort of built in diode.

I know I need to get something that I can put inline between the solar panel
and the battery which will only allow the power to go one way (like on the
panel I use on my Bambi). Does anyone know exactly what I need (i.e., so I
can just walk in somewhere and say I need a whatchamacallit)?

Thanks for your help - you can reply offline to me at
<mailto:sherryhayes@earthlink.net>.

Happy Trails - Sherry
'63 Bambi, WBCCI 1104, VAC, WDCU, TCT