[VAC] Re: ork flooring

 Cork tiles make a great floor.  We have now installed it in two houses.
Whether to go with prefinished or unfinished depends on your standards and
skill.  Unfinished tiles lightly sanded after installation and finished with
polyurethane make a very smooth, tight floor, and are what I would recommend
for a trailer where there is a good chance of the floor getting pretty wet.
Prefinished tiles cannot achieve the monolithic look that field-finished
tiles can have, but can be field-finished for additional water resistance.
Waxed cork is the nicest looking and underfoot, but requires more
maintenance.  Either way makes an institutional-grade floor that can be
installed by a moderatly skilled person.  Cork is more forgiving than VCT
during installation, but the subfloor needs good prep work.

Water on all floors is an issue these days as modern adhesives are not as
water resistant as the old "cut back" adhesives were.  The price we pay for
volatile organic compounds compliance.

Good sources for high quality cork tile are Expanko and Dodge Regupol, both
in PA, and both with web sites.  My perception is that Dodge Regupol's tile
is denser and of higher quality.  Expanko has a greater variety of styles.
Expect to pay $3-4/s.f. for tile alone.

If finished with polyurethane, just clean with a damp (not soaking) mop,
warm water, and white vinegar.  No wax if you want to stay on your feet.

Louis Joyner
'64 Overlander