[VAC] Re: WBCCI membership revisited

Greetings all,

I'd like to add my two cents to this, being a newbie, and a relative
youngin'...

First of all, I am not a member of the WBCCI, nor the Vintage club. I
have contacted my local region's membership director, and requested an
enrollment form. However, I'm struggling with this. I would love to
participate in the International Rally, at least once, just to see all
that aluminum in one place, and to attend the swap meets. I'm really not
interested in the caravans, primarily because of the cost. I don't have
the money to spend for these things, and I'm perfectly happy just
tooling around on my own if it's going to cost a lot of money just to be
a part of a caravan. The ONLY reason I've considered joining the WBCCI
is so that I can join the VAC, which equates to a $60/year membership
fee for the VAC, and I would just as soon see this fee going entirely to
the VAC.

As I understand it, Wally Byam started the WBCCI in an effort to help
people get their trailers out of their yards and onto the roads, doing
what they were designed for...travel. From what I've seen of the old
caravan notices, which are admittedly few, these caravans were free,
except for the out of pocket costs incurred by the owners for fuel and
supplies. That to me is a fair arrangement. But, again, I'm not as
knowledgeable about these things as I'm sure some of you are. Please
correct me on this point if I'm mistaken.

In this new age of electronic communication, the need for private club
newsletters is becoming more and more obsolete. We no longer need a club
to rally the owners of travel trailers, or any other product, when so
much information, and so many individuals, are present here on the
Internet. This very list has probably provided more information since
it's inception than all of the newsletters combined. As I learn from all
of you I feel a deep sense of gratitude, and it is my intent to spread
my new found knowledge to anyone else in need of help. Give and take is
a part of life, however, our brains and our hearts are much like a fresh
water tank, they must be filled before they can provide the cool
refreshment of their contents.

There is no reason, in this day and age, that we, as a group of
enthusiastic individuals, can not perform the function of a large
organization. Personally, I think for some of us at least, we can do
just as well, if not better, than the WBCCI to promote the Airstream way
of life. To organize informal vintage caravans and rallies, share
information, and extend fellowship to one another is quite possible
without paying an exclusivity "tax". The one thing I really miss with
this electronic communication, is the pleasure of meeting more of you in
person. The face to face meeting, hearing stories of the "old days",
tips from seasoned veterans of the road, meeting with the older AND
younger members of this group would be an honor. Whether WBCCI members,
or not.

As for the events of 9/11, well, if the government had spent more money
on intelligence and security, rather than corporate welfare, bloated
spending programs, and of course the inevitable kick-backs, we might
have avoided the tragedy. But that has NOTHING to do with vintage
Airstreams, so I'll let that issue rest.

--
Ted Byrd
1958 Overlander