[VAC] Re: Penetrating Epoxy

Jim Smith's response pretty well sums it up, But I'd add one more thing:
Instead of fiberglass cloth, some of us do a two-stage repair: After
saturating the wood with penetrating epoxy and letting it cure, we mix up a
paste made of epoxy and structural filler (west system epoxies sell this
stuff. Yes, West is some of the expensive stuff Jim talks about, but I use
it anyway because they have a complete product system including mixing pumps
hardeners of varying speed, various kinds of structural and non-structural
fillers, etc. that make the whole procedure idiot proof and very convenient)
and put it on with a drywall knife, working it well into the holes (and the
inevitable splinter canyons that result from drilling into rot), then
leveling it. And, oh yes, one more one more thing: Make sure the wood is
ABSOLUTELY DRY before you do any of this, or the penetrating epoxy won't
penetrate, and instead will just seal in the remaining moisture and speed up
the rot. Stick a dehum unit in there, and/or heaters, and get that sucker
really dry. And, of course, make sure the leaks that caused the rot in the
first place are sealed. Have fun--I did this, and the resulting floor, even
where you could stick a screwdriver through originally, now feels like rock.
IT's pretty amazing stuff.

Dan Weeks
76 Argosy 26
Des Moines