[VAC] replacement heater

I yanked the Suburban forced air furnace out of my '66 Overlander and replaced it with
two Olympian catalytic heaters: a 6000 BTU in the front, and the smaller 3500 btu in
the rear bath. I wasn't sure that I would be able to tolerate the products of
combustion in the a/s, since I am allergic to dust and other small particles. But with
'cracked open windows' on opposite sides, it has produced an environment that I prefer
over the older forced air system. The air is fresh (I also crack open a hatch cover),
but the radient heat from the Olympians produces a very comfortable environment.
Whereas I found the Suburban flattened my battery pretty quickly while boondocking,
the two Olympians draw no power and use a surprising small amount of propane; I can go
for days on the two 40# tanks in the coldest weather (I think I will add the muffin
fan though for better circulation). On cool Colorado mountain Summer nights, I run
just the small bath Olympian on low for a comfortable sleeping environment.
In conclusion, if you camp with shore power mostly and are concerned about compbustion
products, use a forced air heater. On the on the hand, if you like to go where the
power cord won't reach, go with the catalytics-they're safe if you follow directions.
Randy Unter
'66 Overlander
Denver