[VAC] Re: 1960 electrical

Brian,

If you have a typical Bargman connector, then one of the contacts is for 12V
power. This will trickle charge your trailer's battery. In order to get a
better charge either replace the charge wires with a heavier guage wire, or
run additional wires. The original owner of my '60 Overlander had additional
charge lines installed on the trailer end (they all feed off of that one
Bargman connector). I have not had a problem with running out of battery
power, but then again I avoid using it except for running the furnace, air
pump and an ocassional light. Until I found a 12V florescent bulb that would
fit our sockets I never used the battery powered lights for more than a
minute or two. I now have the florescents in the front "living room" and can
run them a long time. Normally when camping I find that when it is dark
either I am outside at the campfire or I am inside asleep!

About the wiring on the trailer. Yes one would expect to find some sort of
access panel on the belly for the wiring. I do believe that Airstream did do
this on the newer trailers, but my '60 does not have one. The umbilical from
the tow vehicle plugs into the trailer via another Bargman plug just behind
the LP tanks. The wires then disappear, each heading to their own
destination.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander