[VAC] Re: 1960 electrical

Toby, Brian,

I can't answer all of your questions but I have a 60 Caravanner that I've
added some new wiring to in addition to the original wiring.  The wiring is
as Brian mentioned, separate circuits for 12vdc and 110vac.  I had a
furnace that seemed to have some type of transformer attached to it.  I
removed the furnace and the transformer.  I think the transformer allowed
the 12vdc furnace fan to operate on shore power.  The trailer had the usual
connections between to the tow vehicle with the addition of a connector for
a battery connection to the tow vehicle.  As I remember, this 12vdc
connection was in parallel to the external mounted 12vdc battery box.

In tracing the original circuits, I used an ohm meter.  It saved me a lot
of headaches.

In re-doing things, I replaced the original rear 110ac fuse boxes with
circuit boxes.  I added additional 110ac circuits that come from the
circuit breakers.  Also inside at the front and just below the window and
behind the couch, I added new 12vdc circuits and circuit breakers.  All of
the original 12vdc circuits are a single brown wire circuit with the
trailer being ground..  I pulled this brown wire to the new circuit breaker
box.  Inside the trailer I also added a new #6 ground wire from the front
to the rear.  All of the 12vdc added wiring is 2 conductor so I added a
ground bus in the front and brought all the dc grounds to this bus.  In the
rear I did the same for all the new 110vac circuits since they are 2
conductor plus ground.

I'm not sure I answered your questions but maybe this helps.

Garnett Horner