[VAC] Re: 6 volt vs 12 volt???

The 6v equivalent of an 1157 is an 1154, it fits the standard dual
filament socket.

I would think that the wiring should be heavy enough for lights,
depending on the year of the airstream. I notice that newer model
anythings (80's up) tend to have thin wiring. The amp difference between
6 and 12 v is about double, so one 6v bulb is approximately equivalent
to 2-12v bulbs. Most older wiring was big enough to handle extra bulbs.

I can't think of any way short of a major electronics project to get a
12 brake system to run off 6v, EXCEPT that if you have a hydraulic
operated controller, you could add a power wire from the trailer battery
to the controller, then back to the brakes. It would take an extra plug
but would work if really have your heart set on this :-)

You could use the car to charge the trailer battery. There are also
voltage converters that change 6v to 12v but they aren't cheap or easy
to find. I have one for my firetruck to run a modern two-way radio. You
still have a problem if the Merc is positive ground, you would have to
reverse the polarity on your trailer.

--
John Dorsey
Wauchula FL